My Land Rover Defender

My Land Rover Defender
200Tdi 110

The rear on my vehicle

The rear on my vehicle
Not bad for 16yrs old

The rear seats

The rear seats
Re-upholstered by myself

Discovery 2 Seats

Discovery 2 Seats
Really comfortable

Re upholster the Defender rear seats

Monday, March 8, 2010

First I cut and unstitched the panels and purchased some cloth which was as near as I could get. I then measured the seats in situ and made panels using the sewing machine and upholstery thread for strength.



Once I had made the panels I removed the seats from the defender, they were only held in by 2 bolts, so they were out within 10 mins.



I then dismantled the seats by unbolting them, and removing the base cover and panels stripping it down to bare bones.





I then stripped the side panels and placed onto the new material and make sure they are the right way around, as I wasted some material this way. Then draw around and then cut out of the new material.





Once you have cut them out, place the panels on the seat and mark where the side panels will go.



Once you have done that, sew the sides on, and once sewn, turn inside out and start to fit to seat, I did the base first then the back afterwards.





I then clipped the cover onto the base with metal clips and then recovered the bottom of the base with the panel, this is only screwed on.

I previously cut the old head rest fittings from the discovery II rear seats.



I then measured, I allowed 100mm from the edge of the seat and welded the fittings into place, make sure this is a good weld.



Once welded I added a bit extra foma to make the backs more comfortable, and to compensate for the head rests. I then fitted the top cover and then installed the head rest.

I then checked the finish and then fitted the seats back in.



And here we are the finished product, the wife loves them.



In all it took about a full day in hours to do, but its best to use new than old materials. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment