My Land Rover Defender

My Land Rover Defender
200Tdi 110

The rear on my vehicle

The rear on my vehicle
Not bad for 16yrs old

The rear seats

The rear seats
Re-upholstered by myself

Discovery 2 Seats

Discovery 2 Seats
Really comfortable

Central Locking in the Defender

Monday, March 8, 2010


 Central locking installation in a defender 
Hi all, I was so pleased with my seats, I have now installed central locking to add further luxury to it, here are the steps I did when I installed it.

First get your central locking kit, my was $3-00 from a charity shop, or about 1 pound fifty Briitish money.

The only thing missing was the instructions and wiring diagram, but I found a wiring diagram on the net and installation was quite easy. but it did take four hours to install.

First check all the parts are in the box.





The next thing is to position your central locking relay unit, I chose in the fuse box as there was room and it's quite central.

Remove the panels on the door, by prying the clips and removing the screws from the door handle and window winding handle.



Heres the back door



I placed the actuator where I was going to have the unit and I then bent the bracket supplied in the kit, drilled the holes and riveted the bracket.





I then bent the rod to link the actuator to the locking mechanism.



Once i did this, I then screwed the actuator into place with the rod fitted, I then screwed the joint block onto the new and old rod.



I then wired the unit through the door and and placed the door panel back on.



I placed a grommit to prevent the wires getting worn by the sharp edges.

Then after I did the rear doors, I then did the front doors.



The front doors are different to the rear and the bracket looked like this.



Again after i had installed the unit and you have to make sure the rods are bent square and not on an angle other than 90 degrees.



On the fronts there is a hole on the lock mechanism, where you attach the new rod and check the actuator is fully in and the door is locked.



I then again threaded the wire through the door.



Once this was done I replaced the door panel and then wired in the relay unit to the fuse box compartment.



I placed a link fuse for the central locking system, and then closed all of the doors and hey prestow, my 1993 defender has working central locking. yipee. 

2 comments:

Rip Rook said...

Thanks for sharing such a descriptive blog. I learned so much from this blog.

Cummins compound turbo

March 29, 2017 at 9:26 PM
Land Rover said...

Thank you, I have not been here for so long, I'd better get back into it as such a lot has moved on, thanks Mark

April 10, 2017 at 3:55 PM

Post a Comment